Regular check of right to occupancy

To live in Hoas housing, you must be a full-time degree student in a school of higher education. When you graduate or your studies interrupted, your right to occupancy in Hoas housing also expires.

Hoas usually asks some students to verify their right to occupancy at the beginning of the year. The verification round in the spring aims to free up apartments for students starting their studies in the autumn by terminating the agreements of those who have graduated or interrupted their studies. Hoas has a right to carry out the check of right to occupancy also at other times. Such checks may for example be carried out in properties scheduled for basic renovations.

The request to verify the right to occupancy is not sent to all tenants. Information is requested primarily from tenants whose studies have either ended or are about to end according to Hoas's records, but queries are also sent out randomly. Study credits are checked for the calendar year or years. Check also the frequently asked questions about the check of right to occupancy.

What does the tenant need to do when requested to verify their right to occupancy?

The request to verify the right to occupancy is sent to selected tenants via post, usually at the beginning of the year (the timing may vary from year to year). Tenants usually have approximately two weeks to provide the documents requested in the letter to Hoas.

In order for the tenant's studies to meet the requirements set by Hoas on full-time studies, the tenant must have accumulated at least 30 study credits within the preceding calendar year or 60 study credits in total over the last two calendar years. Giving false information may lead to the termination or dissolution of the tenancy agreement. If you have questions about the verification of the right to occupancy, please check the Frequently Asked Questions section. If you cannot find an answer to your question here, you can contact our housing services.

The check of right to occupancy proceeds as follows:

  1. If your studies have progressed as Hoas requires, your agreement will be updated with your details and your occupancy time will continue according to the conditions of the agreement you signed.
  2. If the information you provide is insufficient, you will be sent a futher query, and you will usually have several months to provide the missing documents. At the same time, you will be given a notice of termination of your tenancy agreement with a notice period of three or six months.
  3. If your studies have ended already, have been interrupted, or if you do not meet the criteria for being a full-time student, you will be given notice of termination with a three or six month lessor's notice period.

If you were asked to provide further information, the check of right to occupancy proceeds as follows:

  1. If you provide Hoas the missing documents/information by the deadline given to you and your studies meet the Hoas requirements of full-time studies, the termination notice will be cancelled.
  2. If your studies do not fill the criteria for full-time studies according to the additional information you provided, the termination will stand.
  3. If you were asked to provide further information and you provided it late (after the deadline given to you) or not at all, the termination will stand.

The lessor's notice period is six calendar months, if the agreement has been in effect for at least one year. For agreements that have been in effect for less than a year, the lessor's notice period is three calendar months. The notice period begins when you are given notice. A fixed-term agreement or an agreement for an apartment with a limited occupancy time will not be extended, if the tenant is not studying full time. If you graduate close to the previously set end date of the tenancy agreement, your occupancy after graduation may be shorter than six months. Check also the frequently asked questions about the check of right to occupancy.